Autoimmune Screening Test Panel
In a normally functioning immune system, white blood cells attack foreign invaders such as bacteria and viruses. In autoimmunity, antibodies tag normal healthy cells. This causes white blood cells to attack and destroy those cells as if they were foreign invaders.
What Causes Autoimmune Diseases?
Autoimmune diseases are becoming extremely common in western civilizations. Many researchers strictly believe that genetic predispositions are to blame. What many do not know is the fact that even our diet determines whether or not genes are turned on or turned off. For example, low vitamin D levels are closely associated with autoimmunity1. Why? Vitamin D changes gene expressions of white blood cells so they do not mistake “self” from “non-self”, keeping autoimmunity at bay.
Chemical exposures such as pesticides in and on foods are also a major promoter of automimmunity2. These chemicals can alter hormones and “confuse” the immune system thus increasing the risk of autoimmunity.
What’s Being Tested in this panel:
Since many with autoimmunity have more than one tissue being attacked, this test panel screens for the top 4 most common autoimmune conditions.
- Rheumatoid Arthritis: Rheumatoid Arthritis Factor (RA Factor)
- Lupus (SLE) and other autoimmune conditions: Antinuclear Antibodies (ANA)
- Celiac Disease: Tissue Transglutaminase (tTG) IgA + IgG Antibodies
- Hashimoto’s’ Hypothyroidism: Thyroglobulin Antibodies + Thyroid Peroxidase Antibodies (TGA/TPO Antibodies)
- Highly recommended add-on test: Vitamin D
Turnaround time: 5-7 Business Days
- This test cannot be collected in NY, NJ, MA, and RI. Contact us with questions.