Test for Coronavirus COVID-19
The Coronavirus test (COVID-19) by IGeneX Labs uses advanced PCR technology to test for the direct presence of the COVID-19 virus. The kit also has the option to test for COVID-19 antibodies using the more accurate Immunoblot method which can help confirm infection along with identifying immunity to the virus. Ordering both tests is recommended.
What is COVID-19 PCR?
At the center of the Coronavirus is RNA (similar to DNA). PCR testing takes RNA and copies it millions of times until it can be detected. If you test negative for COVID-19, then there will be no RNA to copy resulting in a negative test result. COVID-19 PCR testing is considered very accurate, however, it is highly recommended to add the ImmunoBlot to verify infection/exposure and protective immunity.
Order the COVID-19 PCR test individually.
What is ImmunoBlot?
There are indirect ways to test for the Coronavirus: ELISA, and ImmunoBlot. The ELISA method for antibodies is easy to test but has its drawbacks since there are multiple strains of coronaviruses other than COVID-19 therefor testing positive for those other strains (false positive) is more common.
ImmunoBlot testing is more complex and costly but it is much more accurate, using an advanced technique (electrophoresis) to detect the coronavirus COVID-19. It is suggested to run both PCR and ImmunoBlot to obtain the best and more accurate results.
Will the ImmunoBlot show if I’m Immune to the Coronavirus?
Yes. If you are not showing symptoms and your Immunoblot IgG antibodies are elevated, this means you have been exposed to the coronavirus (COVID-19) and you are very likely to be immune. You could still be a carrier of coronavirus (revealed by the PCR test) so you should still practice social distancing and wear a proper face mask to help protect others.
If you are only interested in the ImmunoBlot test to see if you are immune to the COVID-19 coronavirus, it can be ordered separately here.
Possible Coronavirus COVID-19 Test Results:
What’s Being Tested:
- Coronavirus COVID-19 (SARS-CoV-2 Virus) PCR Swab Test
- Direct detection of the COVID-19 coronavirus.
- ImmunoBlot IgM and IgG
- Confirms COVID-19 exposure and immune activity including protective immunity.
- PCR- Nasal Swab
- ImmunoBlot antibodies- Serum blood test kit (not finger-prick) processed by IGenex Labs
- Standard free shipping is 2 days (1-day shipping available at checkout)
- Results turnaround time: 5-7 business days
- Draw Locations | How It Works | FAQsNotes:
- Disclaimer: Test results are not a substitute for medical advice. Any information given here or elsewhere on TrueHealthLabs.com is for educational purposes only and has not been evaluated by the FDA. Samples are collected at your own risk. As with any lab test, false negatives/positives are possible. Consult with your treating physician to determine if re-testing is needed and for further evaluation and treatment.
- Keep blood vials at room temperature.
- The specimen must arrive at the lab within 7 days (2-day shipping label is included with the kit).
- Test results will be reported to your state’s health department.
Coronavirus COVID-19 Swab Test- Collection Instructions
Nasopharyngeal swab test for COVID-19 PCR (nose swab)
Note: The collection process can be uncomfortable. Instruct the recipient to be calm. If you are uncomfortable collecting the sample, take your kit to a qualified healthcare practitioner.
- Sample instructional swab collection video
- Tilt the head back 70 degrees supporting the back of the head.
- Gently insert the swab into the nostril along the floor of the septum (not up) until the back of the nose (nasopharyngeal wall) is reached. Do not force.
- Rotate the swab several times (5-10 seconds) while the swab is in contact with the nasopharyngeal wall.
- Place the swab in the transport tube and break off the swab at the indicator line and replace the cap, place in the included plastic bio-bag and refrigerate until ready to ship.
Blood Draw for Coronavirus COVID-19 Immunoblot Test
- You will need to take the kit with you to a contracted draw location to be drawn by a licensed phlebotomist.
- You also have the option to have the sample drawn at your doctor’s office, hospital, or make arrangements with a mobile phlebotomy service.
- All the instructions for the phlebotomist are on the requisition form that is either in the kit or we have emailed to you.
- If you are ordering both the PCR and ImmunoBlot (recommended), keep the swab refrigerated until ready to ship and include the ice pack included in the kit. Read all instructions.
Coronavirus Test Kit Shipping Instructions
- All return shipping supplies are included in the kit.
- First, arrange specimen pickup with FedEx.
- Place the specimen inside the bio-bag along with the IGeneX requisition form (included in the kit or is emailed) into the styrofoam lined cardboard container, add the frozen ice brick and close with packing tape.
- Adhere the return label and ship with your prearranged pickup.
- Use disposable gloves to disinfect the box before pickup. If you must hand the box to the person picking up the package, please wear a mask.
- IGeneX Labs must receive the sample within 72 hours after collection.
556 Gibraltar Dr. Milpitas, CA 95035
- Full Collection and Shipping Instructions